Spring Season Wholehearted Kids Chorus Registration Open Now!
March 9 – May 31
Registration is open to all kids, ages 6 – 14 for another season of joyful, empowered singing, and playing in community.
This 11-week program directed by Lisa G. Littlebird, Anastasia Eichorn, Theo Maehr, Pacia Platzek begins Monday, March 9 and is designed to encourage a positive, loving and playful relationship between your child and their voice. In a world where the arts are becoming less valued in education and where singing expression is often characterized by showmanship more than self-expression, my aim is to contribute to their joyful and healthy self-concept through singing. The season cost includes practice recordings, t-shirt and two family tickets to the big concert on May 31st.
The kids’ chorus meets Mondays, during the season, from 3:45 to 4:45 at the American Legion Hall in Monterey, 1110 Veterans Dr. OR Wednesdays at the Big Sur Grange Hall from 4:15 – 5:15.
Season fees are $175. $140 for kids of adult Wholehearted members or $280 for two kids in the same household.
Please contact Lisa if your family is in need of financial assistance – no child is turned away. There is a partial scholarship option upon request at a rate of $80 per child.
We are making some important refinements in 2020 to ensure a successful and fulfilling season for all participants:
- Pre-registration is required before or at the first class on March 9.
- Up to 50% financial aid is available. Please email Lisa for an application.
- Starting this year, all participants must be 6 or older. It is important that all children in our group can demonstrate the ability to sit still for periods of time and to participate in focused activity for a full hour.
- New Monday Hours! This season the kids chorus will meet earlier, on Mondays from 3:45 to 4:45 at the American Legion. (You can drop your kids off starting at 3:30pm.)
- New small ensemble option! The main Kids Chorus will be the same as ever, open to kids 6 to 14, and focused on singing together for the joy of it, with opportunities for play, songwriting, and singing in the concerts. We are adding an optional sub-group, for kids 8 and older, who are self-driven and passionate to learn more complex songs and harmonies, to stay until 5:15 to work on more challenging material. There is no additional charge for the extra time, but these kids must demonstrate a consistent ability to match pitch, focus, listen to others, participate fully, and learn songs both in and outside of class time. Please talk with your kids about this opportunity in advance of the season to ensure they understand what this commitment entails and can make a choice to participate. They can also try it the first week and decide after that.
- Free childcare is available on Mondays again this season from 4:45 until 7pm for parents singing in the Adult Chorus. Please make sure your child has food and a quiet activity.
- Big Sur Kids Chorus – We will continue to meet on Wednesdays starting March 11, remaining at the previous hours of 4:15-5:15 weekly.
- Family Commitment – All parents of kids participating in the Chorus are expected to support their child’s participation in the following ways:
- Dropping off and picking up each week, on time, and ensuring they attend a minimum of 75% of classes.
- Ensuring that your kids have had a snack before class and bring their own water.
- Ensuring your kids leave with all of their belongings.
- Playing the practice recordings regularly with your kids between classes.
- Supervising your child throughout the full Wholehearted Chorus Concert experience on Sunday, May 31st from 1 to 5pm. There will be several periods of time that the kids are not on stage during these hours and parents are responsible for remaining with their children at all times they are not on stage. Parents who are singing with the adult chorus are responsible for finding another guardian that can fulfill this commitment.
DATES OF NOTE (Subject to changes until March 1):
- Monday, Mar 9, 3:34 to 4:45pm – First Class / Registration Deadline
- Monday, May 18, 4:45 to 6:30pm – Mandatory, later class in Monterey for all Monterey and Big Sur Kids participating in the Kids Concert
- Thursday, May 21, 4:45 to 7:30pm – Kids Concert at the American Legion (Concert start is 6pm for guests)
- Monday, March 25 – NO KIDS CLASS, Memorial Day
- Wednesday, May 27, 5 to 6:30pm – Mandatory, later class in Monterey for all Monterey and Big Sur Kids participating in the May 31st Concert
- Sunday, May 31, 1 to 5pm – Wholehearted Chorus Concert at PG Performing Arts (Concert start is 3pm for guests)